It’s summer. You’re sitting in your office, and either you’re feeling hot and sticky from the lack of air conditioning, or your teeth are chattering from too much. Everyone looks tired, including yourself, and you find yourself daydreaming about what a little sun, sand and surf would feel like right about now. Taking a vacation to the beach seems like an indulgence, a luxury that you may want, but just don’t need. But do you?
You might be surprised to learn that a beach vacation at a place like Maria’s in Rincon, Puerto Rico might be more than just a fun time for you and your family – it may actually provide health benefits that make it go from being a luxury to a necessity. If you’ve been waffling when it comes to taking the plunge and planning that vacation to a beautiful beach getaway, consider the following:
- Return to your natural state. We’re mostly made from water, and the water we’re made of, interestingly, is comparable to what is found in the ocean. And, before we’re born, we live in an aqueous environment in the womb. So it’s only natural that our bodies want to return to the ocean, and that we feel comfortable when we’re near or in the water. Marine biologist Wallace Nichols has studied this extensively, and says that simply hearing the ocean triggers a biological response in humans.
- Increase your intake of Vitamin D. In a report issued by the Harvard Medical School, UBV light, which comes from the sun, provides people with the majority of their vitamin D intake – 80 to 90 percent, in fact. Our bodies need vitamin D for bone, skin, and yes, even mental health. But, doctors caution people to only spend 10 to 15 minutes daily unprotected – after that, make sure you apply a good 30+ SPF sunscreen. Getting your time in the sun is easy when you stay at Maria’s, too – we offer private beach access from our luxury villa.
- Just relax. In a study that showed people photos of various settings, and measured their brainwaves while doing so, it turns out that the looking at coastal photos triggers parts of the brain that are associated with optimism, stability and the recollection of good memories. And, in a 2011 study involving the Smartphone app Mappiness, most people were happiest when outside, and they registered responses of being 5.2 percent happier when they were near water.
- Get your body moving. A beach vacation will help you increase your activity. Whether you’d like to participate in some physically challenging activity like surfing or paddle boarding, take a relaxing swim in crystal blue waters, or simply stroll along the waters edge and feel the sand and surf on your feet, a beach vacation will help you get moving and enjoy some exercise that is much more enjoyable than sitting at a desk all day. At Maria’s Beach, there are plenty of opportunities for these beach activities and more.
- Surround yourself with the blues. Blue skies and blue waters like those found at Maria’s Beach, that is. Neurosurgeon Amir Vokshoor said that the color blue’s wavelengths actually cause a response in humans that is associated with such feelings as euphoria, joy, reward and wellness. Another study indicated that people tend to feel less fatigued and less claustrophobic when exposed to the color blue.
So, have you decided that a beach vacation is right for you – and your health? Maria’s is ready to help! Our booking is done through Island West Properties, Maria’s rental and onsite management. Please visit our booking page on this website to view the availability of Maria’s and fill out our convenient contact form. If you have any additional questions regarding Maria’s, you may call Island West Properties at 787-823-2323. Thank you for planning your beach vacation with Maria’s!